Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Screw Edward, I want Nick!

Lately, I've been hearing this "I wish Edward Cullen were real" or "I'm in love with a vampire" type of talk. Yes, I'm referring to the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I seriously don't know what the big hype about this series is about. I read the summaries of the books & really, I can't fall in love with a vampire, hence the "screw Edward" part of my title. In all seriousness, I have to admit that the quotes from the book are so gosh darn lovey dovey that it can't possibly be relatable at all. For example, "Before you, Bella my life was like a moonless night." I'm sorry, what kind of guy would really say that to a girl & be taken seriously? That's a no no.

On the other hand, I wish that Nick Needham is real, haha! He's from "A Hopeless Romantic" by Harriet Evans [my review here]. It was my first romance novel that I've ever read & I seriously fell in love with Nick & his relationship with Laura. They would talk about everyday things instead of the "I can't live without you" stuff that I find other romance novels to be doing. "Never trust someone who says they prefer fat chips to thin chips." A quote where they converse about chips [as in fish & chips] & other random things that you can relate to because it's not so high above you. As you keep reading, you totally fall in love with the guy! He is relatable like someone you can actually meet, not like Edward who can spew out a love quote for you. Nick has flaws as well, which makes him human and not some super boyfriend.

All I'm saying is that all those twihards [aka Twilight fans] can keep their stupid Edward Cullen, just stay away from my Nick Needham! He belongs to me, Paula, & Louise ;)

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said A. I'm so happy to have friends that aren't psycho babbling about some stupid vampire that has taken over thier life. From what I've seen, all the twihards have let it take over their lives so much that nothing else seems to matter and have forgotten what "realistic love" is.

    I'm so glad that when I was in that airport I saw the sparkling cover of Hopeless Romantic. LOL
    Nick is totally perfect in a nonperfect sort a way. LOL Whoo hoo for hopeless romantics out there!
    *goes to buy garlic and maybe a stake?* AND WHERE IS BUFFY WHEN YOU NEED HER?!?!

    ReplyDelete