Thursday, February 10, 2011

Met My Patient Today!

After anticipating this day since February 1st, I have finally met my patient today for the first time! I went to Lot 1 to meet my client so that I can give his caregiver the parking permit. His caregiver saw me from the left turn lane into the parking lot so she waved at me from the car. When she entered the parking lot, she entered the code wrong so I rushed over & saved the day! Apparently, the caregiver brought my client's morning caregiver along for today.

We made our way to the clinic room & I situated us at the second table from the back. My supervisor chitchatted with the main caregiver & the caregiver was telling my professor how bubbly I was. My professor agreed & was all "Yup, that's our Annie. Well I'll let her get started." Within the first question, I found out that my patient could only answer yes/no questions. There went all my open-ended questions, but it certainly tested my ability to be flexible. While the caregivers gave a lot of information about my patient, I made sure to ask yes/no questions to my patient for him to confirm the statements & to ensure that he was included.

I did not get through any of the assessments I planned to do today, but that was fine since I had to try a lot harder to ask my patient questions & to get to know him better. He seemed to like me since he shook my hand once during the interview & then grabbed my hand for another one when he was leaving. He also smiled quite often when I was asking him questions so I guess I'm off to a good start. I'll see him again on Tuesday when I visit his home for a home evaluation :)

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! Great job!! That does throw things for a loop, but I bet you did amazing!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie10:10 PM

    Sounds like you got off to a great start! And trust me, being flexible and not sweating the small stuff is a much needed ability in health care! No two patients are going to be the same, but then again that's why I like it so much!

    They have us reading a book right now called your first year as a nurse, and this one statement totally stuck out to me... you are going to meet more new people everyday than not. And that is so true! It's so fun to get be apart of so many different lives & really make a difference! :)

    Can't wait to hear how the next visit goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you'll be great at doing this! You have a personality where people can instantly feel comfortable and at ease. You are bubbly ;) haha
    Congrats on meeting your patient! Love to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete