Sunday, October 9, 2011

O'Connor Fieldwork Week #1-2

I cannot believe I am already 2 weeks into my fieldwork, yikes! Not much has really happened during these two weeks except being completely exhausted by the time I get home. Acute inpatient rehab in a hospital is a whole different ball game & I am having the hardest time adjusting to how fast-paced it is. Gary (head OT) sent me to the new hire orientation on Monday since the Joint Commission is at the hospital checking to make sure the staff is doing what they're supposed to be doing. To be honest, it was a complete bore, but at least I got fed breakfast, lunch & a snack, haha. I also won 20 bandaids for answering a question right ^ a little pot to grow chives as a gift.

Breakfast @ new hire orientation


Doodling due to boredom

I have been working in the orthopedics unit & have seen total knee replacement patients. This week, my supervisor Lori let me lead treatment for 3 patients the last 2 days. It was totally unexpected, but I think I did okay considering I was thrown in there, haha. I have had comments about my nervous giggle so I'm trying to refrain from giggling period, which sucks because I do giggle when I'm happy, too. It kinda sucks since I use humor therapeutically with patients, but I'll refrain from doing that as well for now. I'm pretty sure that the hospital is not a setting I want to be working at later on. It's too fast & I really like getting to know patients for a longer duration, but at least I am trying it out & doing the best I can :)

Since Vinh & I were stressed from work, we decided to go to Half Moon Bay today to just chill out & relax. We didn't stay too long since we froze our butts off, but it was gorgeous as usual.

Staying warm & happy :)

Strong waves @ HMB

Starting week #3 tomorrow & then I'll be 25%, eek! Then off to OTAC from Friday to Saturday to present my masters project & hang with the OT All-Stars again :)

2 comments:

  1. You looked super cute in your hat at the beach :P It does look cold though! I wish I could doodle as good as you! I'm lucky if I can draw ewold ;)
    By working in the hospital you now know you want to be in a slower paced environment :P You'll get great experience from this internship that you can apply later on :) You'll make it! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeekkkkkk!!! I've heard hospitals are very fast pace!!! Definitely be hard to really get to know your patients! Maybe at like a rehab facility it wouldn't be so crazy?

    Cute pics =) It was nice of them to give you breakfast! LOL

    ReplyDelete