Monday, June 25, 2012

Marriage License: Check!

Today was wedding license application day for Vinh & I. We both worked yesterday so that we could head to the Office of the Clerk-Recorder today. Both the groom & bride have to be present to apply for the license, who knew... Anyhoo, we walked into the office & took a number just like you'd do at DMV. Even the speaker voice calling the numbers was the same as DMV, lol. Anyhoo, we had to go behind the ticket machine & use the computer to fill out the marriage license application. After we finished the application, we waited like one minute before being called up to the window #11. Shortest wait ever!

We're #D205 :)


The clerk asked us for our IDs so that she could check all our information on our application & then asked us to sign it. We also had to take an oath saying that the information we put was correct to the best of our knowledge. We forked over the $79 for the license. Afterwards, she gave us our marriage license along with a packet of instructions, envelope to mail it back & a little handbook on health information for beyond the wedding day. Of course, both Vinh & I knew most of the information, haha. The clerk was all looking at Vinh & saying "take him with you when you do your name changes so he can suffer with you!" Then Vinh goes "dang, almost got away with it!" :P

Our little bundle of goodies

56 days left to go until I become Mrs. Mai! :)

14 comments:

  1. That's strange that you both have to be present to get your marriage license! Mike wasn't even in the same state I was when I had gotten mine. haha. Maybe it's different where you are, too, because it was like $35 for ours.

    & When I went to get my name changed, we took our signed certificate to the secretary of state and that was that. My name was legally changed. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California just makes everything complicated, let's leave it at that, lol! Your fee is hecka cheap! :O

      Delete
    2. I believe we had to pay $50.00 for ours, I think? so more than yours, but much less that Annie. Geez, that is crazy! And we did both have to be present for the license. I don't remember anything about much else, like the name change and whatnot. Being a barely 18 year old senior in high school, 6+ months pregnant and about to marry a man who was my best friend, but far from the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with... the time is pretty blurry in the memory bank, haha.

      They'll do anything these days to make extra money here and there where they can. Everyone and everywhere does.

      Delete
    3. I agree, anything for the state to get more moola! Ugh...

      Delete
  2. Yaaay! It's sure getting closer! I wish I could be there to share the big day with ya'll, it would most certainly be worth the 10+ hour drive, definitely. :)

    I'm so super happy for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, 10+ hours is brutal! Then again, I'd love to roadtrip from coast to coast, lol. Thank you Emily :)

      Delete
  3. Yey! It's getting closer and more official! We both had to be present for ours as well, but we had to pay $135! And have fun with the name change stuff, I'm still going through and changing my name on things lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is the most expensive license by far, I'm still shocked by it! But it's worth it, right? ;) I'm sooo not looking forward to the name changing process, haha!

      Delete
  4. Ours was $60 in Chicago, and we both had to be there. The name change process, ugh hah I'm midway through that now. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name changing is what I dread the most, but I do want to steal his last name *giggle*

      Delete
  5. How exciting :) :) :)
    Sort of expensive! But exciting :) :) YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only expensive cuz it's Cali, haha! ;)

      Delete
  6. So excited for you Annie!
    Both of us had to present to get our license too! I honestly don't remember how much we paid but I don't think it was that expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs. Younger! :)

      Delete