Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes 2013

On October 20th, I participated in the Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes in San Jose with Vinh & my sisters. Vinh & I saw a brochure for the walk at a boba place. We found it was fitting to participate since my grandfather had just passed & he had struggled with diabetes for a long time. I appropriately named us Team Grandpa Kuo this year & I even got a call from the lady organizing the event! Who does that anymore?!

Stop diabetes!

On the day of the event, we had free parking at the SAP Center courtesy of the walk. You could participate in three different distances for the event: 1-mile, 5k & 10k. We opted for the 5k course since Lonnie had an injured leg, but continued to walk regardless. We hung around the event area, got free Hint waters, KIND bars & other miscellaneous goodies.

See, hear & speak no evil

Team Grandpa Kuo ♥

It was a chilly day, but the sun came out towards the end of our walk. We walked through the Guadalupe River Trail & had volunteers cheering us on the entire way!

We sure do!

At the finish line, high fives were had & then more grabbing of free Hint waters & KIND bars! We were going to wait for the free Togo's sandwiches for lunch, but opted to have a photo with Sammy before heading out to get brunch instead.

Mascot for the SJ Giants: Sammy!

It was a fun event & no pressure whatsoever to keep a certain time/pace. It was great to see everyone out supported a great cause! I'd also like to thank my sponsors that got me to my fundraising goal: Steve & Derrick, Rob & Debby, & Susan! I can't wait to participate in this event next year with hopefully more team members :)

Our official team photo! *click to enlarge*

For more information on Step Out & their upcoming events, please visit their page here!

29 comments:

  1. Well done to you for doing this and a really great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the walk and meeting your goal! Diabetes is a silent killer and I love that you helped to raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for doing this, and such a great and important cause too! Round of applause! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to raise money for a wonderful cause. Not only does this raise money but awareness of such a terrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking to find one of these events in my area. I would love to help bring more awareness to this cause. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a person who has diabetes running rampant in our family, I want to thank you for raising awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diabetes has certainly changed my life around! Thank you for bringing up this often undetected but potentially deadly disease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to help make a difference. Lonnie is brave to keep on going too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I want to find one of these type of walks in my area. They really are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a great cause! What a fitting tribute to your Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had fun while supporting a wonderful cause! I love your team name too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great cause to support. Glad you ladies of Team Grandpa Kuo had fun at the event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Way to support a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to be running in a race like this someday! Good for you! Looks like it was a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like fun and such a good cause. Congrats on meeting your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Step Out seems like a great program and I love that the money is going towards Diabetic education. Diabetes, is on the rise in the US and we need to do all we can to be proactive and reverse those stats.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes you participated in sounds great. Your Team Grandpa Kuo was sweet too. Diabetes affects more people in North America year after year. It was very nice you got involved with something meaningful to so many. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great cause! And it looks like you had fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great cause to be walking for looks like a good fun day as well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great. I know a lot of people with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like walk for a cause walks like that. My mom is diabetic and has been for almost 35 years. I would have walked for her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job! I've heard of this. It sound great and very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. does this one look at prevention of diabetes? i like when these "walks" look at natural prevention too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a great cause, having several people in my family that deal with diabetes so I appreciate when people step out of their comfort zones to help!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great cause.. LOVE that you participated and are spreading the word... Way to go girl...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think this walk is amazing! My grandmother is a diabetic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like you had a blast, and all for a good cause.

    PS I love the look of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your blog posts are always so much fun! I've got to come hang out with you. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great cause! My husband has diabetes, I don't really see many walks like this for it around here so it's good to know there is one!

    ReplyDelete