Wednesday, December 18, 2013

YEE: DIY Holiday Party

On December 12th, I attended my last Yelp Elite event of the year! Funny enough, I attended my first Elite event at the exact same venue. Way to come full circle, right? I had Sonya as my +1 for the DIY Holiday Party held at the ZERO1 Garage (with their Patent Pending exhibit) in downtown San Jose.

We arrived about 5 minutes early & waited patiently out in the freezing (in California standards) cold. We finally got let in & got checked in rather quickly. With our Yelp check in, you get a free piece of swag from Santa's helpers. I finally got my Yelp Elite knee high socks that I wanted, yayy!

Finally got my Yelp Elite socks!

Next, we hit up the low tech throwback photobooth aka polaroids! Sonya & I had fun with that, especially decorating it to remember our time at the party!

Shake it like a polaroid picture

We then stopped by the Veggie Grill booth to try out their kale salad & "chicken," which really did taste like chicken. I never knew kale would taste that good! Next, we hopped over to the next booth that was having a holiday cocktail made with Joia soda & St. Germain whiskey. I liked it whereas Sonya wasn't a big fan, haha.

Joia soda & whiskey

With out holiday cocktail :)

We ran into a big puff ball that is attached to a light bulb. If you punch it, it lights it up, then turns off & repeats. Sonya wanted me to take "drunk" photo with it, but I was far from drunk...not even tipsy, haha.

Punch the ball to turn the light on & off!

There was also KRAVE beef jerky near the fuzz ball & there were 8 different flavors! I think my favorite was the pineapple coconut since I'm more into the fruity flavors.

8 flavors of KRAVE beef jerky

We saw that Patxi's Pizza was serving up their food so we got in line. However, we got distracted by the wall opposite of us as it was basically recording us in line with alphabet letters falling on us. Obviously we had to capture that moment in time, hahaha!

Letters keep fallin' on our heads :P

There was also pretty fruit art by Edible Arrangements, which we got to take apart & devour later on during the event when they ran out of their regular fruits. Singha beers was also there to promote their beverage with their whole bottle or share in cups with a friend!

Edible Arrangements

After going after all the edible goodies we could get our hands on, we landed upon the DIY portion of the party! We ended up making the marble paint gift tags. We had an etsy artist FrancesMarin guide us through the whole process & I loved that we got to really use our hands & get dirty! Next, we headed over to the shadowbox ornament table run by etsy artist Retablos. We had templates for us to follow to decorate our little matchboxes. She had a vintage holiday stamp for each of us to use *giggle*

Our DIY gift tags & matchbox ornaments :)

Sonya & I ended up raiding the freebies area & grabbed two Joia sodas before heading to the polaroid booth one last time. Then we once again braved the cold to end our awesome night out on my last elite event of the year!

Modern art, freebies & my festive name tag :)

Our polaroids from the party :)

Thanks Abby, ZERO1 Garage, the amazing vendors & Etsy artists as well as all the South Bay Yelpers for a fun holiday party & a great end to my first year as a Yelp Elite! Let's hope I keep my Elite badge for next year cuz I'm ready for more :)

Want to know more about Yelp Elite & Yelp community events? Just ask & I'll gladly answer, just be sure to leave your contact info!

21 comments:

  1. What a fun event. I love attending expos like these because you can get great product samples and ideas. I'm sure you tried out some great products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun event! That puff ball must be really nice - I'd love to make a few punches here and there too haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey6:18 PM

    I didn't realize that Yelp hosts fun events like this for bloggers! I am going to look into this now that I have read about the fun you had with your friend. I love how she wanted you to pose for that "drunk photo"; you did a good job because you had me fooled! ;) It looks like you were able to check out a lot of cool stuff; that fruit bouquet looks especially yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, yet another amazing event! The socks sounds cute - you are going to have to post a picture of yourself modeling them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like it was a great event and that you had a great time. I wonder if they make those knee high socks in compression sock form for runners?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great event this sounds likes :) that edible arrangement is amazing as well! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seriously get to visit so many cool events! This one looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like quite a nice event. The jerky and fruit basket wouldn't have made it the whole day...lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a totally awesome event to enjoy with your friend. Thank you for sharing all of the details with us. I loved the DIY section a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those parties sound like so much fun. I definitely need to sign up for the yelp stuff in my area!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These parties sound like so much fun and those socks are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love DIY gifts! I bet I have already 10 gifts that I have made for family or Christmas 2013! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The low tech photobooth was funny. These events you go to are always filled with cool sections.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a fun time. I suspect the holiday cocktail booth would have been my favorite stop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like so much fun! I love all of the crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous Holiday Party!! I love that you wanted to get the socks! I love knee high socks! they're so comfy.. and oh my gosh, edible arrangements! YUMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks like a lot of fun. i'm on yelp and wonder about their algorithm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun party! I love the pictures of you two with the letters. Never had the edible arrangements but it looks great too

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sure sounds like this was a great event and looked like you had a lot of fun.. I love to sample new products and see what's out there..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to get more involved with my local yelp group. Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That diy event looked so much fun! The edible arrangements look so good! Totally cute tags and matchboxes!

    ReplyDelete