Tuesday, April 8, 2014

CMYE: Livermore Barrel Tasting Weekend

Lucky me won a pair of tickets to the Livermore Barrel Tasting Weekend thanks to Yelp! I was instructed to head over to Wente Vineyards to pickup my wine tasting glasses & wristband for the event. Check in was quick & soon Vinh & I were off to do our first tasting at Wente :)

Wente Vineyards

There was a singer inside Wente's barrel room as we tasted. They offered their 2012 petite sirah & their 2012 cab franc. I liked the petite sirah just a little bit more, but Wente wasn't my taste in wine personally.

With the singer & our cab francs

First tasting of the day!

Yelp check-in booth :)

Mustache bottle opener in Wente's gift shop

Obligatory first winery photo :P

Wente Vineyard estate

It was kind of funny to have wine glasses in our cup holders! I wonder if that's a normal thing in Livermore wine country, haha!

Wine glasses: check!

Next on our hit list was the Big White House. Shockingly, the house was neither big or white! On the event website, BWH was offering their chateau marion, merlot & cab sauvignon. However, after arriving at BWH, we realized that they were offering 11 different tastings! This was actually my favorite of all the places we visited. It was not a picture-esque winery, but it did dish out quite a few good wines! My favorite drink was the peach champagne, so delish!

Big White House

Straight from the barrel!

With a Jack Skellington wine barrel :P

Kiyora & Kiyore enjoying the nice Livermore weather

We ended up buying 4 bottles of goodies from BWH before heading over to Concannon Vineyard. This happened to be Vinh's favorite of the bunch. Vinh grabbed some food from the food truck before entering for more tasting.

Concannon plaza

They offered the cab sauvignon & petite sirah. I liked their petite sirah better than Wente's. The barrel room had the biggest barrels I have ever seen, ginormous! It can fit over 30 regular barrels worth of wine in it :P

Straight from Concannon barrels

Obligatory barrel photo

I liked the door, okay? :P

Next, we hit up Eckert Estate Winery, which was actually more like a tasting room than anything. We ended up tasting different mustards from a local maker & bought 2 bottles home with us for future cooking. The owners even gave us recipes for their mustards, yum!

I'm taller than the sign!

We actually did try any wine from the winery itself (you had to pay, wth?!), but we did try the Artisan Spirits. The guy converts wine into brandy & vodka through filtration. Talk about some pure & super strong brandy & vodka! He had to dilute it with water & it was still quite strong :P

Artisan Spirits & the filtration system :)

Vinh ordered some cheese balls before we headed to our last stop of the day, Darcie Kent Vineyards (per recommendation of a lady working at Concannon). They offered 2 different chardonnays, which I liked actually. One of the chardonnays is one of Michelle Obama's favorites & she actually served it at one of her dinner parties.

Darcie Kent barrels

I ended up buying a raspberry cheesecake bar from Sweet & Mellow, the dessert food truck. The bar was scrumptious, so soft & flavorful!

Darcie Kent Vineyards

After probably tasting around 20 different wines, spirits & other alcoholic beverages for the day, Vinh & I decided to head home & pass out take a nap. Overall, I am so pleased with discovering a whole new wine country in Livermore! Thanks Yelp for letting me venture out & expanding my wine collection :)

Want to know more about Yelp Elite & Yelp community events? Just ask & I'll gladly answer, just be sure to leave your contact info!

30 comments:

  1. Yet another cool event! I have never been to a wine tasting, but it;s on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am taking my Daughter and her friend on a wine trail in New York in August. They are so much fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky! I'm glad you had a good time! I want to of to a winery so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! That's awesome that you won tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I love the Skellington wine barrel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a cool event i've wanted to try a wine tasting event but haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a cool event! You got to try so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to a wine tasting. I don't drink but this looks like an interesting tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great sounding event, I don't drink personally but it does look interesting :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so wish that I could get into win bc I would really enjoy doing something like this. I just can't develop a taste for it.
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so wish that I could get into win bc I would really enjoy doing something like this. I just can't develop a taste for it.
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so wish that I could get into win bc I would really enjoy doing something like this. I just can't develop a taste for it.
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on you win. It looks like it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In Northeast Ohio, we do a wine hop in the fall. It is such fun, and each of the wineries puts out samples of their wines along with appetizers that are awesome as well. I hope to get to Livermore and NAPA in 2015...and cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me at free wine tasting (two of my favorite things)! I'm curious how you won through yelp? I just read reviews but never participate on there. I have found some really cool places though through Yelp!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Winery's seem like so much fun. I see so many great deals on groupon. Hopefully I can get the full experience this summer.

    http://fabulousperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. After trying around 20, I think I would have went home and took a nap too! Sounds like you had a great time. I really would like to visit Napa Valley sometime soon to do some wine sampling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a really good time. I'm loving that jack Skellington Barrel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't been to a wine tasting in forever. They are such a blast, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's gotta be loads of fun! especially the fact that you won

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is lucky you! What a great place to visit and enjoy some wine. I like what they do with their barrels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow you are so lucky! I've always wanted to go wine tasting!! Looks like so much fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That mustache is hilarious! The wine tasting sounds wonderful. I always enjoy exposing myself to new flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's an awesome prize! I'm not one for red wines but I would be willing to test them out if it was on a cool tour like this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Merlot yet I have never been to a wine tasting. I really should as I live so close to the vineyards. Love that big door too (KIM)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like y'all had a great time. I love that Jack Skellington barrell

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been wanting to go to a wine tasting with my husband. It sounds like this was a great event.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like so much fun!! I love going to wine tastings!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This would be right up my alley. I LOVE wine!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never been on a wine tasting before! I didn't really know what to expect! How cool you got to just carry around your wine glasses everywhere! bahaha. The barrel tasting looks like so much fun!! How funny the big white house wasn't even white nor big! I love it. I think it looks the most intimate and cozy. Next time I'm in town we must hit it up for some peach champagne! I want to go take fun pictures with wine barrels and big gorgeous doors!
    Adorable picture of kiyore and kiyora.

    ReplyDelete