Friday, May 9, 2014

YEE: Elite VIP Hour at the Kentucky Derby Party

South Bay Yelpers got down & derby on May 3rd for the VIP Hour at the Kentucky Derby Party event held at the Blackbird Tavern! VIP hour was from 1-2PM. I thought it was quite fun to dress up for a Yelp event :)

In our Kentucky Derby attire (thanks Adam D)

Vinh & I arrived in downtown San Jose about 10 minutes before the event started. We were actually the first few people into the Blackbird Tavern. We got checked in real quick & got in line for the bar to get the official drink of the derby: mint juleps!

Inside Blackbird Tavern

Creating mint juleps

We had the lovely Sour Mash Hug Band performing some bluegrass goodness throughout the event :)

Sour Mash Hug Band

There were no more seats indoors so Vinh & I braved the windy outdoors. We grabbed a small table outside & enjoyed our super strong mint juleps. I also went to collect our Yelp goodie bag where I finally get my Yelp metal water bottle, woot!

Yelp swag with my mint julep

The Blackbird Tavern also provided complimentary appetizers for the VIP hour as well. I got to try: the hot brown sandwich, crawfish & beet salad, sweet potato hash with ham & finger sandwiches. I absolutely loved the sweet potato hash, it had a kick with a bit of spice :)

Hot brown sandwich, crawfish & beet salad, finger sandwich & sweet potato hash with ham

Patio area of Blackbird Tavern

The bar also provided complimentary champagne as well as Hubert's Lemonade. You could have gotten a shot of vodka to mix with your lemonade if you wanted. I didn't get to try the spiked iced tea, bummer :P

Hubert's Lemonade, champagne & mint julep

After 2PM, the party was opened to the public & the appetizers weren't free anymore. Vinh & I hung around for a while longer to enjoy our champagne before heading out.

Special menu for Yelpers

Cheers to the Derby!

In our Kentucky Derby finest :P

My Yelp swag loot, haha!

Congrats to California Chrome for winning the Kentucky Derby, woot! :)

Thanks Abby, Blackbird Tavern, Hubert's Lemonade, Sour Mash Hug Band & all the South Bay Yelpers for a fun Southern shindig! For more photos of the event (taken by Adam D), click here.

Want to know more about Yelp Elite & Yelp community events? Just ask & I'll gladly answer, just be sure to leave your contact info!

13 comments:

  1. Ha - I am loving the hat. You guys both totally look the part and I am so glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMg how fun was that. you get to do really awesome stuff. Girl you have to hook me up please. my email is rebeccabryant562@hotmail.com i'll bake you cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so adorable...and how fun is that Yelp party? Details please...Denise.gabbard@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hat and dress are so cute. That sandwich looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to go to the Derby! I love your big hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A place that takes the crust off of sandwiches, ha! I know someone in my house who would love that!! :)

    I think the Kentucky Derby would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great place! Love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw on the menu there was pickled shrimp, I have never seen that before and I love shrimp; I'd like to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun would that be. Your hat was too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow the goody bags for being an Elite Yelp is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how all the ladies get all dressed up for the Kentucky Derby and wear big hats. You looked great and I love your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The food and atmosphere looks so good! Love your hat and outfit! + the nail color!! How fun to dress up in derby wear for a yelp event!!! :) and congrats on all the yelp goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a blast :) You are always out and about :) Love your dress btw!

    ReplyDelete