Friday, May 23, 2014

YEE: Flight Club at V. Sattui

On a beautiful Sunday morning, Vinh & I had the pleasure of driving up to wine country to partake in a Yelp Elite North Bay event: Flight Club at V. Sattui! I was so excited for this event as I have been trying to get into the Flight Club events & when I finally did, the event took place at my favorite winery. Double win! :D

Vinh & I ready for some vino!

We arrived about 30 minutes early so we got to just enjoy the semi-quietness before the weekend rush started. I wanted to get there real early so that I would be one of the first 20 people to get the new Yelp Elite beach towel. Yup, I'm a dork :P

V. Sattui sign

Fountain

Yelp swag, yee!

We promptly started our event with Claudette coming out to welcome us & then divide us into two groups for the tour. Vinh & I ended up following John, who also happens to be a biochemist. He is quite the knowledgeable fellow sharing everything from V. Sattui's history to how the wine is made to how the wine is bottled up & everything in between!

Claudette welcoming the elites

John & the grape crusher/maker

Gorgeous V. Sattui winery

Wine storage to be fermented & kept cool

V. Sattui invested in a $1 million dollar bottling machine that also makes sure the least amount of oxygen is in the wine as well as putting on the labels. Quite the fancy machine I must say!

Bottling machine

See that big barrel in the back? That's only over a century old & was kept a secret during the Prohibition era. Sneaky Vittorio (the original owner & the V) hid these barrels behind a fake wall during the Prohibition & they all contained wine still.

Prohibition barrel survivor in the back

V. Sattui in the lower plaza looking up

The barrel room had quite the few barrels as well. The big ovals to the left in the photo below all contain different amounts of wine at its capacity. Why? Because back in the day, if the "cooper" made it to the exact size the winemaker wanted. If the size was too big or too small, the winemaker would deduct the portion away & the "cooper" would lose money.

Also, when the winery first started out, it needed some wine from other wineries. One of the first batches of wine contained some from Mondavi, shhh... :P

Barrel room

Awesome chandelier

Random fact, but wineries are limited in how many weddings/events it can take each year. They have a license for agriculture & another for commercial. Most wineries do not hold a commercial license so they can only hold about 8 weddings per year. V. Sattui, on the other hand, has a commercial license & can do 80 weddings/events per year. Way back when, V. Sattui was holding events & doing partial business so when the state finally passed out these licenses/law, they got both the agriculture & commercial licenses. Neat, right?!

Our tour finished with heading out into the vineyard portion of the winery where we got a private tasting along with samples of their cheeses & charcuterie. The vineyard portion is not open to the public (& neither was the grape crusher & bottling machine) so we were a very fortunate group to be able to enjoy this exclusive experience!

Entrance into Vittorio's garden

Fountain in Vittorio's garden

Vinyard

Tasting under the canopy

More vinyards

Claudette opening a bottle of wine

John pouring out our first tasting

In house cheeses & grapes

Charcuterie & olives

We probably had around 5-7 tastings along with our yummy nibbles. Vinh & I had fun hanging out with Alyssa & her hubs while doing our tasting. It was nice to meet new people. The North Bay manager Kevin joined us for a bit as well & we toasted to the lovely afternoon!

Fountain in the garden again

More of the garden

Leaving Vittorio's garden

After our exclusive tour & tasting, Vinh & I enjoyed talking to Elaine & Markus in line for the BBQ. Then we headed to get the homemade gelato & bought some cheese to take home, yum! We saved the yummy tiramisu for last before jetting off home :)

Pineapple gelato!

Desserts galore!

Cheese!

Goodbye V. Sattui

Yes!

Behold my elite towel!

Look how big this is!

Here are a few photos below from our freelance photographer for the event, yay! :)

Excited for our adventure in wine country!

Listening to Claudette's intro

John our guide with one of his amusing stories

North Bay community manager Kevin

Cheers to a wonderful Sunday!

Ladies of North Bay

Sobriety test, I swear!

Men of North Bay

Flex it!

Thanks Kevin, our lovely guides John & Claudette, & V. Sattui for a Sunday fun day! I thoroughly enjoyed my first Flight Club & hope for many more in the future! For more photos, check out the photos taken by our freelance professional photographer here :)

Want to know more about Yelp Elite & Yelp community events? Just ask & I'll gladly answer, just be sure to leave your contact info!

30 comments:

  1. I have never been to a winery before and this sounds like another awesome event that you guys got to attend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add visiting a winery to your bucket list, so much fun!

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe that there was wine that was super old and aged!! Crazy, but it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a tiny part of the wine includes super old wine! To think I'm drinking a tiny part that's decades of decades old :P

      Delete
  3. ha! I have to giggle at some of the secrets you learned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a cool adventure you guys have been. The place looks fantastic! Never drink lots of wine here but I'm fascinated on how it's made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winery's wine is amazing! I cannot find any others that compare. Great process in making it, too!

      Delete
  5. I didn't know that wineries could only hold a certain number of weddings and events per year. That's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think they could have as many weddings as they want, right? Crazy trivia :P

      Delete
  6. Oh, that looks like a wonderful day. Wine tastings at wineries are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love wine tasting :)

      Delete
  7. What a great event. That is amazing that a barrel of wine is that old - glad she was able to be sneaky and keep it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great event! Smart man, hehe :)

      Delete
  8. Totally embarrassed to admit that the first time I read this I thought that you joined a Fight Club...LOL I was thinking why in the world would you want to be a part of a fight club. Anyhow I love wine and a FLIGHT CLUB sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I misread the event name the first time I saw it so you're not alone! :P

      Delete
  9. Wineries are always so pretty. This one looks like its no exception. I'm glad you had a nice visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful time, thanks!

      Delete
  10. I need to post on Yelp more. You go to some great events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just check your events page on Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/events/) & see if there are some community manager events near you :)

      Delete
  11. Looks like an awesome way to spend
    the day, and loads of Yelping fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely some Yelpy fun! :)

      Delete
  12. That looks like a great event, and what a BEAUTIFUL winery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing event at my favorite winery :)

      Delete
  13. I would love a trip to a winery. That is on my bucket list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check that off your bucket list someday with your girlfriends! :)

      Delete
  14. I am not a big fan of wine but I woyld definitely enjoy trying out those desserts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gelato & tiramisu was definitely yummy! :)

      Delete
  15. Wow the views inside and outside of that winery looj spectacular! Congrats on your new yelp beach towel! hahaha the sobriety test photos totally made me giggle. All of those people looked so fun to hang out with. You've got to go to some really unique places through yelp! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall totally bring you here when you come back! We can spend the day wine tasting to our hearts content :)

      Delete