Wednesday, July 2, 2014

San Jose Giant Race 5K 2014

I have been quite productive this past weekend. What did I do you may ask? I participated in two 5Ks this weekend! I shall share the first one with you for this post: the San Jose Giant Race 5K. This is the second of three different Giant Races :)

The day before the race, Vinh & I got our packets which included our shirt, bib & tickets to the SJ Giants game later that evening. I love how soft the shirt is & that there were men's & women's shirts! My race shirt actually fit me instead of my swimming in it!

Race packet contents :)

Our race time was at 7:30AM on June 28th, but we woke up around 5:30AM to get free parking near the start/finish line!

5K course map

I loved how they used the SF Giant players to mark which corral you should be in. I found them to be quite clever. Too bad the real Buster Posey wasn't there, then I would totally be running, haha :P

Buster's MVPs aka < 8 minute mile time

Romo's Runners aka < 10 minute mile time

Cain's Cruisers aka 10+ minute mile time & walkers

The guy dressed in red below was hella entertaining prior to the race beginning. He was walking & jumping all over the place asking people "ARE YOU READY?!" I loved some people's responses to him, haha! Great entertaining during the wait to start.

"Red Guy"

Up bright & early lol

We crossed the start line a little after 7:30AM since there were so many people out in front of us being the MVPs & Runners corrals. Vinh & I decided to walk & enjoy the 5K since it went through Kelly Park. It was definitely a hot Saturday as we started to sweat just from walking briskly under the sun, whew~

Let the race begin!

I officially crossed the finish line at 54:39 & I am not ashamed to admit it, haha! I almost prefer enjoying the event rather than racing through it. Maybe I'll run it next year since I already enjoyed this course this time around. I got my medal from a cute little boy at the finish line, too cute!

Finish line!

Right after I took a photo of the finish line

We stuck around for a little bit for the post race festival to grab the free swag & food. We were definitely hungry so we munched on the snacks provided, yum!

Finished 5K #1 of the weekend!

Some of our free swag from after the race

After going home & resting, we returned to San Jose Municipal Stadium to watch the SJ Giants take on the Visalia Rawhides! We both had free tickets to attend since we participated in the run. Yay for Runner's Night! We ended up beating the Rawhides & winning 7-5 :D

Tickets to Runner's Night :)

Go SJ Giants!

It was a wonderful first 5K of the weekend! Vinh & I will be participating in the SF Giant Race later on this year as well. Stay tuned for 5K #2 :)

34 comments:

  1. You have so much energy and I admire that! I have never done a marathon or race but if I did I would def walk it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is still good for you! We did speedwalking for this whole thing since it got our hearts pumping :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a good time.I would love to go to something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly suggest doing one, so fun! I especially love seeing people from all walks of life participate.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on both of your races. That's amazing that you did two in one weekend - that's a lot of running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A lot of running/speed walking for sure, but it was all in good fun, too :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like so much fun! How nice that the two of you could do it together! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! Gotta support our local community :)

      Delete
  5. good for you!
    I do admire runners
    I keep saying I want to jump in but haven't yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I say just register for one that you are able to walk in & then the 5K bug will bite you :P

      Delete
  6. two 5K's? That is awesome! I have to say I am super jealous. I would love to do one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I'm crazy! But they are so fun, especially the ones rooted around sports teams :)

      Delete
  7. I have yet to participate in a 5K and your time wasn't too bad. Not sure if I would have done better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My time was all walking, but I ain't complaining. I was enjoying myself mostly, hehe. You should try a 5K that you can walk in, it's more fun than the timed ones :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! I've never done a 5K and I admire anyone who can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps! 5Ks aren't that bad at all, especially ones that you can walk & have more fun in than worrying about your time :)

      Delete
  9. I'm that girl who buys the tank tops that say "If you see me running, its because something is chasing me", lol. Great job, I have all the respect in the world for runners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that'd still be me, but when it comes to having fun in the community, I'm all for it :)

      Delete
  10. That's a double score since you participated in the race and then got to go the game later. What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I love going to the minor league baseball game, so fun :)

      Delete
  11. That's awesome! What a great day for you guys. Good job on the race, and looks like you had fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was definitely a fun day :)

      Delete
  12. How awesome! What a fun day. I love running 5Ks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5Ks are fun & aren't as competitive as the 10Ks & half/full marathons :)

      Delete
  13. Looks like a great day. I have a goal of running a 5k once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I have yet to run a full 5K, but I'm working on it. I get too caught up in having fun thus far :P

      Delete
  14. Wow what a fun packed time! Congratulations on both the races as well amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah-Louise! :)

      Delete
  15. That looks like you guys got to have a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How amazing that you were able to do 2 runs. Not only that but you also had time to take a photo. Fun activity for you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! A couple that plays together, stays together, right? :)

      Delete
  17. Perfect timing on the finish line pic! :P Seriously awesome you did 2 5ks! keep it up A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bestie! One of the hottest weekends, too :P

      Delete