Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Dole Plantation & Polynesian Cultural Center

Our sixth day consisted of doing some more touristy things such as visiting the Dole Plantation & the Polynesian Cultural Center :)

Pineapple!

We started our day with the Dole Plantation. C'mon, you know you wanna see where pineapples come from, haha. We started off the with big maze before hitching a ride on the Pineapple Express (no, not the movie, but I wish James Franco showed up!) to see parts of the plantation itself. Then we had ourselves a sweet treat of Dole Whip before wandering around the garden.

Dole Plantation front

Tourist photo op

Vinh in the maze

Maze completed in 30 minutes

Dole whip in a cone, yum!

Tickets for the Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express pulling into the station :P

Time to ride

Garden along the train ride

Pineapple shape!

Pineapple plants :P

I'm a pineapple head ;)

Our photo lol

Some hungry koi that we fed

Pineapple!

Waterfall inside the garden

Someone was tired lol

Gotta snap a photo of flowers, right? ;)

Vinh wanted to touch the "balls" *rolls eyes*

Another view of the waterfall

Gum tree, so neat!

Afterwards, we drove through North Shore again & tried Macky's shrimp truck. My verdict: not as good as Giovanni's, but pretty solid.

Macky's shrimp truck

Lemon garlic shrimp

Our final stop of the day/night was the Polynesian Cultural Center. Despite the random reviews on this place, I think you have to do it at least once. Most of the workers are Mormon college students on their missions & I think this place is doing quite well. Lots of things to learn & see. I wish that there was more time to do everything though. We weren't able to see every island's show/activity due to time constraints. We did opt to do the luau as well as watch Ha: Breath of Life. The luau was filling & the show was amazing! So amazing that we bought the DVD to bring home with us.

Front

Our tickets for the day

I got a turtle airbrush tattoo

Vinh's airbrush tattoo

On a boat to the back of the center

Waiting for the afternoon water show

Sorbet with fruit as a refreshing snack during the show

Samoa's portion

Hawaii's portion

Tahiti's portion

Waterfalls :P

Hale Aloha, where our luau is located

Table setting

All of my luau food lol

Easter Island?!

Photo from our boat ride earlier

Ha: Breath of Life stage

Gorgeous stage at intermission

Did I mention we watched the demonstration of a traditional Tahitian wedding? Instead of saying "I do" they say "no" since they are asked "will you ever leave your partner?" "Aita" is no in Tahitian by the way. As a surprise, they asked all married couples in attendance to renew their vows the Tahitian way. Well, we renewed our vows Tahitian style after two years...in Hawaii! Who knew! We also learned how to do the basics of the Tahitian dances :P

While renewing our vows :P

Have you visited either place? Ever tried a Dole Whip? Wanna renew your vows Tahitian style? :)

21 comments:

  1. Dole Whips are my favorite! I get one every time I am at the Magic Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you two are having an awesome time! I never knew that about Tahitian wedding vows, and it's so romantic that you got to renew your vows in Hawaii. I hope to visit there too one day with my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to visit the pineapple plantation, but the Polynesian center looks so beautiful! What a trip you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Dole Whip has my mouth watering. I love pineapple and it is great for healing a lot of things. I would love to visit the Dole Plantation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I've always wanted to see pineapple NOT in the stores! You two had a busy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a fun place to visit. And that whip looks delicious. Though I was thinking "banana" when I first seen Dole :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool place! I love Dole pineapples!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what an adventure - I have to admit I love pineapple it has to be one of my favourite fruits. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like an awesome place to visit. All of the food looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that Dole Whip looks amazing!! I would love to see where pineapples come from!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good. The photos, the environment, everything looks awesome. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had a Dole Whip but after seeing yours, I want to. Wow, that looks good! What a fabulous trip and you have it all documented right here on your blog. I have not really had a big burning desire to see Hawaii but following along with you on your trip, I think I have changed my mind. Looks like tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a great time! I would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so much fun - that garden was too wonderful - like paradise of sort.. :) Cool airbrush tattoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go to some of the best looking places! I would love to tour Dole. It looks like they go all out too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pineapples are my favorite!! I would totally be obsessed with this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun place to visit! Funny enough I haven't ever purchased a whole pineapple as an adult. My mom brought one over the other day and everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is pretty cute. It's all pineapple themed. It looks like a lot of fun. I would love to stand inside a giant pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like so much fun! The whole area was really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The do a great job with the landscaping and the grounds at this location. I love all the plants and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your renewing of vows Tahitian style! The fooood I want the food! The dole whip cone looks simply amazing!! Too bad franco wasn't driving the pineapple express ;)

    ReplyDelete