Monday, October 20, 2014

Hawaiian Royalty, North Shore & Byodo-In Temple

Our fifth day was about adventuring around the island. It included visiting some key sites involving Hawaiian royalty, cruising through North Shore & finishing up being zen at Byodo-In Temple :)

Matsumoto's Shaved Ice

We started our day by visiting the King Kamehameha statue followed by Iolani Palace. King Kamehameha was the one that united all the Hawaiian Islands. Iolani Palace was home to the last king & queen of the Hawaiian royalty before the American government took over. After walking around Iolani Palace, we headed to the Capitol Building & Queen Lili'uokalani statue. I have to say it was a pretty neat building as it had an open space & it was actually serene with blue, ocean-like floor colors.

King Kamehameha statue

Ta-dah!

Iolani Palace gate

Front of Iolani Palace

Gorgeous details

Hangin' in the front

Back of Iolani Palace

Front of Capitol building

Queen Lili'uokalani statue

Open air Capitol building

Gazebo on the Palace grounds

After getting our fill of Hawaiian royalty history, we decided to just take a cruise around the island. We headed to North Shore where we partook in the shaved ice giant, Matsumoto's. After, we headed to Hula Dog for lunch, where Anthony Bourdain ate at. I loved the passionfruit dog that I ate, haha. Then we stopped by Kahuku Farms for a drink. I ended up ordering a kalespin-like smoothie, so healthy & refreshing on this hot & humid day. To continue the foodie ventures, we went to eat some delicious shrimp at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. Best shrimp we've had on the island, yum! We also got to drink out of a real coconut & it was quite refreshing :)

Driving into North Shore

Hawaiian flavored shaved ice

I wiped out, haha

Hula Dog

Passionfruit hot dog, yum!

Kahuku Farms

Kalespin smoothie

Giovanni's lemon garlic shrimp

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck

Coconut :)

Our last stop of the day was the Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples (cemetery). It was very tranquil here. I got to ring the bell on the way in for happiness & to get a blessing as well. It was pretty cool. We also got to light up incense inside the temple. I lit one for my grandfather since I wasn't home to see him on his first anniversary of his death.

Byodo-In Temple

Pull it back...

I got my blessing!

Sign next to the sacred bell

Vinh rang the bell

Buddha statue inside the temple

Incense for grandpa

Bridge in/out of the temple

Did any of these sites interest you? Are you drooling over all the yummy Hawaiian foods now? I know I am :)

36 comments:

  1. Next time - Take me with you please! I looks like you had a lot of fun. The food looks amazing as well, I am not sure how you stay so skinny with all the food photos you share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys really did a lot on your trip. That temple is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all look so cute and touristy!!! And those are some fantastic pictures! What a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Oahu when I went. When I went to the Byodo-In Temple, I was attached by a goose and have a scar on the back of my leg from it still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow what an amazing looking time out! I would love to have more time to explore the world.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing experience. I love looking through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First.. y'all are so darn cute together! I am slobbering over your food and shaved ice. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a marvelous vacation. I have been to all the continental states but not to Hawaii and Alaske yet and I cannot wait to go. You to are so cute and make me want to go immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow looks like a great trip! I've always wanted to go to Hawaii or somewhere tropical! One day I too will drink from a coconut:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great pictures, and it looks like an amazing trip! Love drinking from a coconut, but haven't done that in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your photos! thanks for sharing your trip with us. sure makes me want to be there

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Hawaii, I plan to go back very soon, it's probably my favorite place on planet earth. You cannot beat REAL Hawaiian shaved ice! My daughter drank from a coconut when we went a couple years back and she loved it, I tried it and wasn't as keen to the taste as she was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful place and you look to be enjoying yourself so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, passion fruit hot dogs-who would have thought? Hawaii looks like such a great place!~

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Iolani Palace looks amazing! I'd love to travel to Hawaii to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful place to visit. Your photos came out magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photos. This looks like such a great time! Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  18. The food and drink really have caught my eye. That shaved ice is something else. Your photos are really beautiful and you really did see a lot of amazing sites.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have me here drooling over the food. I miss drinking from an actual coconut and can't wait to have one when I next head to the Caribbean. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those first pictures, what an incredibly gorgeous place! Hawaii is high on my list of dream places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous pics! I travel a lot but I've never been to Hawaii, maybe I need to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally adore your photos! It's like I'm there with you! And that Hawaiian shaved ice looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Thank you for that beautiful tour in Hawaii in your pictures! You guys are really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Drinks just taste better out of a coconut! ;) Looks like an amazing getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You got some great pictures as usual. The one that says 'gorgeous details' underneath it is really awesome!! I love building shots like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. All of your photos have been simply amazing. I am enjoying being able to see your trip through your eyes. I wish I had some sunshine today!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would LOVE to go to Hawaii!!! Your pictures are awesome - I want to eat that hot dog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You seem to be having an awesome time! I need to get to Hawaii stat

    ReplyDelete
  29. A passionfruit hotdog? That sounds interesting!! What a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That lemon garlic chicken...that's the one you ordered for me, right? lol You guys look like you are having a BLAST! WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm curious to know what that passion fruit hotdog tastes like. Wouldn't say no to some yummy shaded ice either!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your photos are amazing! Even though I feel a bit dumb that I never knew Hawaii had their own royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, I am drooling over the food you had. You guys got to try soooo many different things. Love all the sights you've been to so far.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am still jealous of all your beautiful pictures. Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want to try a passionfruit hotdog! oh, and that snocone!! Yummy food there!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Okay, I seriously have to stop reading now... Jaw dropping over here! Royalty oh yes please!!!

    & Byodo-In Temple WOOOHAAA! I want to see so bad!

    ReplyDelete