Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Koko Head & Kualoa Ranch

Our second day in Oahu was quite action filled with a hike at Koko Head & then I got to go ride an ATV with the girls later in the day. Come join us for another day in paradise? :)

On top of Koko Head

We started our first morning with a hike. I figured that 1,048 steps wouldn't be so tough. Of course, once you are at the base of Koko Head hike, it looked pretty steep. I have to admit, I wanted to give up halfway up & just head back to our AirBnB for breakfast. Luckily, a local took a break next to us & gave some encouraging words. He told me to take it slow & that it was a great view once you get to the top. Welp, I went ahead & pushed myself painfully all the way to the top!

Here we go...

Before getting butt tired

Step 858

These steps were awfully painful as they were not made for short people. I had to hike up more than 100 degrees of hip flexion to get up each step. Now multiply that by 1,048 steps. BURN!!!

Thankfully, we made it to the top! Well, I was thankful I made it to the top. It wasn't as tough for Vinh :P

Made it to the top!

*click for larger view*

Hangin' in my panda home on the top

My not so happy face, haha

Happy jump at the top!

*click for larger view*

Chesire Cat?

Lots of squid graffiti :)

First image you see once you reach the top

More squid art

Down was much scarier than up!

We headed near Wakiki for some lunch per recommendation of my bestie. We tried the oxtail ramen at Ramen Nakamura. The oxtail was yummy, but I still prefer the ramen back in the Bay Area. It was decided that we'd shop around a bit before driving to Kaneohe to surprise the bride to be with the first part of her bachelorette party :)

Oxtail ramen

Vinh dropped me off at Helean's place to meet up with all the girl's for the first part of Helean's bachelorette. We arrived at Kualoa Ranch & checked in to get our 2-hour ATV tickets. We watched a short video on ATV etiquette before grabbing our helmets & ponchos. We got to go through a short ATV course to test our handling & it was pouring rain the whole time. Thank goodness for ponchos!

Ticket to fun!

The 2-hour ATV tour took us through portions of Oahu that you are unable to drive through otherwise. These areas were home to many a films such as 50 First Dates, Godzilla, Karate Kid 2 & of course, Jurassic Park ;)

After the rain stopped

Godzilla's footprint :P

Myself, Helean, Mia & Meena

*click for larger view*

Can you spot us? :P

Vroom vroom!

ATV, baby!

Gotta do the peace sign ;)

Hang loose!

The sun peaking out made the background so pretty!

*click for larger view*

Jumping photo required :P

*click for larger view*

We survived Jurassic Park!

Overall, a very fun & active day! Vinh had his own mini adventures while I was out on the ATV tour driving through mud pits, rocks & then doing figure eights, haha! Would you go hike Koko Head? What about going on the ATV tour? Stay tuned for day #3 ;)

23 comments:

  1. That looks amazing. It's like a dream vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch those steps do have high risers. What a view at the top though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun. Getting back to nature is an amazing way to spend time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking the Jurassic Park tour would be so much fun. I am pretty sure husband would love to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! I can't believe you walked up more than 1000 steps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures!! It's like being there without the airline pricetag! lol Congrats to being in paradise~!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to hike there! You got some amazing pictures of the views and lots of exercise too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like an awesome place to visit. What an amazing view. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great time you and your husband had. These are fabulous pictures. Those are a lot of steps but you look like you are in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing time you must of had! Your photos look great. I love your vibrant pink cropped top too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow what an amazing time you had. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are amazing images. I love the four wheelers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a dreamy trip to take. The ATVS look so fun! Also it looks like you had a great time climbing the stairs to the top. I am a bit concerned the one shot at the top makes it look like you could fall right off though. EEp! This appears to fit the definition of active travel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. those steps would have killed me! what a beautiful view as a reward to that hike!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL on the steps. A lot of steps do get the burn going. :) The pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had a blast and your photos make me want to visit Hawaii even more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had a amazing time. The photos look great thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I misread and thought this said "koala ranch." LOL. I was ready for fuzzy koalas! Your pictures are just as awesome though, that place is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ok...you guys are having too much fun! lol I love all the "action" shots too! Keep them coming, I feel like I'm right there next to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a fun beautiful adventure! You guys looked like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love four-wheeling. It looks like you guys had a blast! Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whew, that's a good workout in that heat! Looks like you two had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you had a great time. I love hawaii I want to go visit again real soon.

    ReplyDelete