Monday, October 13, 2014

NEX, Pearl Harbor & Roy's

Our third day consisted of getting into the biggest Navy Exchange store, exploring the USS Missouri & submarine museum & then finishing off the day with eating at the original Roy's restaurant :)

Ending our night after a yummy meal


Vinh was very curious about checking out the Navy Exchange store since it's the biggest Navy Exchange in the whole USA. It's basically a big ol' store that is discounted & has no tax for our military service personnel & their spouses. I can tell it's like a big ol' Walmart in there, but with good quality stuff. I even found Hello Kitty x tokidoki collaboration items on sale in there, score!

NEX front door

Octopus pearl necklace

Gorgeous tanzanite piece that I wanted, but too $$$

Side view

Waterfall inside the NEX

Since we were already near Pearl Harbor, we decided to drop by the USS Missouri & submarine museum. We got discounted tickets to the USS Missouri using Vinh's military ID, woot! On our way in, we passed by the USS Oklahoma Memorial. Each white pillar represents a crew member lost during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

USS Oklahoma Memorial

We had a lovely semi-guided tour by David, who was full of history & facts about the USS Missouri. Who knew that the unconditional surrender for WWII was signed aboard the USS Missouri? I certainly didn't, but I'm not a history buff by any means. The exact spot even has a plaque on it now. The USS Missouri is the last battleship to be built & the last to be decommissioned.

Welcome to the USS Missouri

Quite a patriotic entrance

Heading aboard

All aboard!

Those are some big cannons...

Awesome shot, no?

Hanging out on deck

Where WWII ended in unconditional surrender

Vinh wanted to shoot a gun :P

Teak wood for the deck, brand new to replace the old

Bent side where a Japanese kamikaze plane hit

Radar above!

Steering room

View from the steering room

Boat for the President or high ranking official

Crew mess hall

Officer's lounge

Challenger coins

General McCarthy & Vinh :P

After what seemed like ages, we finally got off the USS Missouri & grabbed a quick lunch before heading into the civilian portion of Pearl Harbor. We were too late to partake in the USS Arizona Memorial so we went & did the self guided tour of the submarine museum instead.

Cheap ramen, yum!

AKA civilian portion of Pearl Harbor

I love this poem from the submarine museum :)

USS Bowfin

We ended our evening with having dinner at the original Roy's Restaurant. We tried the one in Pebble Beach, but we wanted to say we've gone to the original. Nothing beats fresh seafood while sipping on a cocktail & watching the sunset :)

Free edamame

Our cocktails for the evening

Guava lemonade

Hawaiian punch

Sunset

Butterfish sushi

Sun has set & the tiki torches have been lit

Vinh's three fish entree

My butterfish entree

Free chocolate souffle with vanilla ice cream

Roy's

We made a quick stop to get a pitaya (dragonfuit) bowl, much like an acai bowl. It was quite yummy as well & also healthy!


Have you been to see the USS Missouri? If not, are you planning to? Did any of the food from Roy's make your mouth water? I'm still drooling over that butterfish :)

33 comments:

  1. I would have loved to go on a tour of that ship. I am only a history buff if I can go an explore. Sounds like the two of you had a full fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to visit Pearl Harbor and tour that ship, how neat! My grandfather was on one of the ships at Pearl Harbor. He was actually transferred off that ship just two weeks before that fateful day. If he hadn't been transferred, I would not be here today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an amazing sounding trip - what a great tour of the ship as well and that food sounds delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a retired military man, so he would LOVE to visit Pearl Harbor one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to visit Pearl Harbor some day. I'm fascinated by the history of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tour. I'd love to take a tour of that ship. I would love that Octopus necklace too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great vacation! so jealous Hawaii is in my bucket list . Loving the challenger coins

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like an amazing vacation. I love those jewelry pieces too but I imagine that they cost a pretty penny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was born on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7th. So, I've always been interested in visiting that ship.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got to do and see so much! I have always wanted to visit Pearl Harbor, and that food at Roy's looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe we ate at Roy's on our honeymoon in Kauai! I'd love to visit Pear Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been to Missouri before but when I do I have to be sure to stop at USS Missouri! Will have to stop at Roys too! The food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much fascinating history. Roy's is one of our favorite restaurants, and I'm getting hungry just looking at these dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun tour! i would love to take that tour one day

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to be a military wife... who would have thought? I love old ships ... and edamame! Great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day! Your photos are great - makes me want to visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great trip! I have always wanted to travel and check out one of these old military ships. Looks like you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the patriotic entrance. That really sets the mood for the tour, doesn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your new blog design! What a fun trip. Those coins look especially interesting. Glad you guys are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pictures. This brings back so many memories from when I was on patrol in the Coast Guard working with the Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you were able to get so much packed in! I would love to visit Pearl Harbor some day, so your photos were really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you had a fun filled day. The photos are great. I love the jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would totally rock the octopus necklace. It was gorgeous. I love visiting old ships. They always have such neat stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't been to the ship, but I haven't been to Hawaii at all. I sure hope to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have not been to Hawaii yet but when we do go, Pearl Harbor will be a must see. I loved seeing everything you experienced and hopefully my husband and I will be able to some day. My favorite food you pictured here would have to be the chocolate souffle with vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an amazing time you guys had! I've always been interested in Pearl Harbor. Maybe some day I'll be able to visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have always wanted to visit Hawaii and seeing your pictures I want to go even more. Thank you for sharing this amazing experience with me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Being military I would love to visit Pearl Harbor myself. This is a great piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great visit! I'd love to see this part of Hawaii (and more of it of course), but this is important history.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That octopus necklace is fantastically cute! One that I would love to wear!
    And you take the most amazing photos of food! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love seafood, so obviously I am drooling over all the seafood pics. Never been to Hawaii but I am glad I saw all the pictures you took.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Visiting these sites is something I hope to do some day. I imagine it will be when my husband and I are quite older and can travel without small children!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That food looks amazing!! I would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete