Wednesday, October 22, 2014

US History & Delicious Shaved Ice

Our seventh day in paradise consisted of some US History at the Aviation Museum & hanging out at the Pearl Harbor base. We finished the day off with some yummy shaved ice :)

My favorite plane of the day :)

We decided that instead of waiting 2 hours to go on the USS Arizona Memorial that we'd check out the Pacific Aviation Museum located on Pearl Harbor base instead. We decided to upgrade our tickets to include a tour with Ken. We spent a good 2+ hours being toured around the museum along with the complete aviation history of WWII. Our favorite part was actually going into the hangar next door & seeing all the different aircrafts as well as meeting a WWII vet that was on base during the Pearl Harbor attack!

Tower that was finished after the attack

Front doors

Japanese aircrafts that attacked Pearl Harbor

Improved planes

Little red aircraft

One of the first few planes to take off from boats

B-23

Hubs in front of the B-23

Bullet holes from the Pearl Harbor attack

Inside the hangar

Pew pew

*click for larger view*

Plane similar to ones I sat in at Moffett Field

Shark copter!

Helicopter similar to what the President would take

Space pod pulled from the ocean

Helicopter

Dick was one awesome WWII veteran. He was in the hangar when the attacks happened. He actually believes that some of the bullet holes were friendly fire, lol :)

Meet Dick who's 90-something & a living part of US history

His sign :)

We took a quick trip to see the USS Utah. It's so sad to see it all sunken & that all it's members are still trapped within. Their final resting place...

USS Utah Memorial

USS Utah Memorial

We had a quick but very filling lunch at Curryhouse, recommended by a friend of mine. I got the chicken katsu with kimchi curry. So good!

Chicken & kimchi curry

We also decided to check out the Army Museum near Waikiki since it was basically free. We saw an awesome helicopter on the roof :)

Helicopter!

Driving back

We finally decided to stop by Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha to try his 5-star shaved ice. I can say we were so bummed we didn't stop by our first day in Oahu! You can read my review on Yelp here. Uncle Clay is an amazingly sweet individual who is very passionate about spreading aloha to all! :)

Lilikoi & kalespin on top of Tahitian vanilla ice cream

With Uncle Clay himself!

We finished the evening with having a passionfruit infused beer at the Kona Brewing Company :)

Passionfruit beer

Are you into planes? Would you try the amazing shaved ice at Uncle Clay's? :)

27 comments:

  1. The Pacific Aviation Museum looks awesome! It reminds me a lot of the Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Masshole Mommy and it reminds me of the Smithsonian. I would love to take my youngest there, he would love to see all the air craft. What a fun way to teach history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, would love to take this trip and visit he memorial. That shaved ice looks amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that shaved ice looks yummy. Plus wow lot of history here how cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these type of Army Planes. They are so cool and the history that comes with them is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a poignant post! So much history - I'll be it was simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a museum my husband would love to visit. He is a real history buff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been an amazing trip. Love the planes and the shaved ice looked so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love the shaved ice, and those planes are so cool. What a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be absolutely amazing to look around there - very emotional as well I am sure. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like so much fun! I'm sure my boys would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, everything looks so delicious here and very informing! I would love to learn more history about the US!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lilikoi & kalespin what on earth is that made out of it's on top of the ice cream it sounds and looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband wants to visit here too. I think it would def. be a place to evoke emotion.

    And hurrah for shaved ice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. that would have been my favorite plane too! what a great tour. so much to enjoy and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these pictures! I want to go now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That shark airplane is too cool. My husband would get a kick out of that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to take my son to that! he would love all those old war planes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not so much into aviation history although I love hearing stories from veterans. I would also enjoy that shaved ice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing day you both had. Nice way to end it with yummy food. It was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not into planes per say but I love to see pieces of history.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Airplanes, curry and shaved ice....sign me up! This looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at all of the amazing planes! My kids would love to go here :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have such amazing adventures!! I adore Shark-Copter, and that chicken curry looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am super obsessed with aviation and love watching planes. This looks like a place I would enjoy going to.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a neat experience. I think my favorite plane is yours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Uncle Clay looks so happy welcoming and friendly! I would definitely stop by there for shaved ice! I would love to tour the WWII museums. SO much history there!

    ReplyDelete