Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Independence Day Weekend

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend! I made my weekend just a wee bit longer by having Thursday off as well, haha. What did I do? I headed up to Trinity County for some good ol' Americana Independence Day fun :)

On the Chagdud Gonpa grounds

We started our journey bright & early on the 2nd & drove all the way up north about 5 hours. We hit a road block with the pilot car, but we arrived in time for a late lunch before checking into our lodging for the weekend: Old Lewiston Inn.

Manicure was on point!

Last selfie with Libby

Waiting for the pilot car

Trinideli for the win!

Poker Bar room

Our room *click for larger view*

Old school :P

I took my Blueberry (aka my MINI Cooper) on Browns Mountain Road, which is also an unmaintained dirt road into town. I think I've royally freaked out the hubs, hah! I love the coating of dirt on my car though :P

Dirty Blueberry

After getting some snacks at Tops Market, we drove down 299-W along the Trinity River before having dinner back in Lewiston at my favorite place: Mountain Valley Grill! My favorite waitress Kris was still working there, remembered me & my order, haha! Gotta love the service even years later :)

Trinity River *click for larger view*

Clear waters

Stopped at the Strawhouse for a drink

Apple pie with bacon crumble ;)

We ended the night hanging out back of the Lewiston Inn along the Lewiston River & drinking a beer :P

Old wagon

Selfie at the Lewiston River

Solar light jars, so cute!

On July 3rd, we headed into Weaverville for a cold drink before heading on 299-W again to visit the Chagdud Gonpa, jumping into the Trinity River to cool off & ending our night with fireworks with friends. I definitely the community up here & chatting with Kim & her family :)

Weaverville Court House

Prayer wheels

Little lake *click for larger view*

Chagdud Gonpa

New painting of the building is looking awesome!

One of the eight stupas

Guru Rinpoche statue

Small shrine in the woods

Painted rocks near the shrine

Prayer wheels from afar

Time to take a dip in the river!

Log was heavier than it looked, hah!

Sunset view

Light saber fun

Gorgeous fireworks up close :)

4th of July was spent checking out of our room, heading into Weaverville for the parade, visiting the Joss House (lighting incense for my grandpa & making a donation) & heading home with a pit stop at Whiskytown Lake. It was nice running into some of my old coworkers from my internship as well as Miles & Kathy, friends I've made in Lewiston.

Goodbye gorgeous view!

Old school firetruck

Lion dancers for the Joss House

Army truck

Mobile couch, hah!

Wagon

Entering Joss House

Red, white & blue!

Whiskytown Lake *click for larger view*

Goodbye Trinity County, cya soon!

Overall, I am bummed to be back in city life, but I'm glad I got to spend time up in the boonies again! Just confirms that I'll retire up there someday, hah! Did y'all have a good weekend? :)

26 comments:

  1. It looks like you have a great weekend. We went to Disney for the weekend. They always have a great fireworks show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney indeed has the best fireworks! That would be a great second choice for 4th of July for me!

      Delete
  2. Wow looks like a fantastic time!! That apple pie looks unreal. With bacon? Oh man, I need this in my life! - Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, the apple pie was fantastic! Who knew it would mesh well with bacon?!

      Delete
  3. Those pictures are great. My weekend consisted of a lot of family and friends. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family & friend time is awesome, too!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a great time! I love your nails, very patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once in a while I just need to get my nails done all cute :)

      Delete
  5. You certainly packed a lot of fun into that long weekend. I would love to see those sites in person. By the way the dust on the car keeps people away. I live on a dirt road and hear comments all the time from moms "stay away from that car, you will get dirty" - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't wash my car upon returning to city life until maybe 2 weeks later, haha! I love it all dirty, it's like a badge of honor :P

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a great 4th! You are right. That manicure WAS on point! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love manicures on point, haha! :P

      Delete
  7. You had a blast! It's always nice to go back to a place you love, meet old friends and be at familiar places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was enough jobs to move up there. I love the community & relaxed atmosphere :)

      Delete
  8. It does look amazing. And did you say bacon crumble for the apple pie? I know someone who would do flips for that dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, bacon crumble, haha! Who knew?!

      Delete
  9. I love how festive your nails were. I have a friend who gets her nails done every holiday with the theme for that special day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your friend's nails! I bet they are definitely on point! :)

      Delete
  10. That dessert looks so good! I would love to try it. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the best apple pie I've had :P

      Delete
  11. You are right! Your manicure was definitely on point! It looks like you had a lot of fun on 4th of July weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love spending my weekend up in Trinity County :)

      Delete
  12. Looks like you guys had a busy weekend. I love your nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did! Thanks :)

      Delete
  13. That apple pie! Looks like you had a wonderful weekend! I didn't do much for the 4th, just hang out at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanging out at home & relaxing is a great way to spend a weekend ;)

      Delete